Sunday, March 23, 2008

on every corner of london

In Paris, you'll find a sidewalk cafe on every corner. In Brussels, that will be a chocolatier. In Hong Kong, a Giordano store. In Bangkok, a foot massage clinic. In Amsterdam, a 'coffee shop' (which means a place to smoke pot).

In London, which I recently visited for the second time, bookstores remain as ubiquitous as ever. I'm not talking of big chains such as Borders, but of small specialty bookstores like the ones in Central London.

I find it wonderfully reassuring, in this age of Internet infotainment, that the art of the printed page is alive and well.

To quote Jerry Seinfeld, "A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking."

What a bloody good way to put it! :-)

The 'I London' Bearbrick is one of six from the 'A Round World' series of Colette Paris. Bearbrick pics (by the London Bridge, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace gate and Victoria Palace Theater) by moi. Seinfeld quote from booksandbars.com

4 comments:

christine said...

Beautifully shot photos! Made me homesick a little ...

bearbricklove.com said...

Thanks, Christine! Didn't know you were a Londoner. I had a grand time there, walking almost 8 hours a day and watching a musical every night. I miss it, too! :-)

McDreamer said...

this post reminds me of Hugh Grant's travel bookstore in Notting Hill...

bearbricklove.com said...

Yes, Mcdreamer, I just watched the Notting Hill DVD for the nth time last night, funny you should mention that. :-)