Tuesday, February 12, 2008

an unlikely love story

My grandmother was a beauty queen. Miss Batangas, she was named – after the town where she spent most of her youth.

She once told me and my siblings, "I never really had to study hard in school because my male professors were also my suitors and they gave me very high grades."

When we asked her about Grandpa, she sighed and said, "I had so many suitors back then. Doctors, professors, public officials... But I ended up with – of all people – your grandfather, the town playboy.'

'One day, my suitors were all lined up in our living room sofa. At a corner table, I sat with the handsome Dr. M, whose turn it was to propose. By accident, I dropped my lace handkerchief. The doctor made a move to retrieve it but your grandfather, faster than a bullet, had already jumped from his seat and snatched the hanky from the floor.'

'As I leaned towards him to get it back, he suddenly planted a kiss on my right cheek! God, I was so terrified that I would get pregnant – yes, I was that ignorant and stupid – and cried my eyes out for days.'

'During those times, for an unmarried woman to be kissed in public was a disgrace, so my parents demanded that your grandfather marry me at once. Of course, he so willingly said yes!"

And that was how she ended up with Grandpa.

When I visited my grandparents' tombs in Batangas City last January 6, I reminisced about their life together. They lived through a war, produced nine children (even outlived some of them), and managed to stay happily married till they were old, gray, and could hardly see.

But did she ever really love him? I guess, in the same way that I learned through the years how much Grandpa loved Grandma, she also learned to love him in return.

Happy Valentine's Day to all! :-)

(Top) Thank you so much, Kat, for the 2008 Valentine Bearbricks! Such a sweet birthday gift!

4 comments:

Hot Snakes said...

great blog, check my customs on my blog and on www.collin.exto.nl

greetings from the netherlands, collin van der sluijs

bearbricklove.com said...

Thanks, Collin! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is such a sweet post. I really enjoyed it.

I never had the chance to ask my paternal grandmother about her past. By the time I was old enough to realize the importance of it, she had passed away. Now I glean bits of information from my parents and try to piece things together by myself.

On the other hand, my maternal grandmother is 94 and working on her memoirs and I couldn't be more thrilled about it.

bearbricklove.com said...

Same here... I never got to find out about my paternal grandma's past. She died when I was very young. And she didn't even keep pictures!