Sunday, September 2, 2007

blooms & be@rbricks

My brother Tony is a gastroenterologist. He spends his weekdays at the ultra-modern Asian Hospital examining people's intestines and stomach linings with a special camera called the endoscope.

However, his weekends are spent looking through another camera – his Nikon D80.

Just last week, I found out that his photographs are among the most popular in the Flicker community. Each pretty picture elicits up to 140 comments from viewers and admirers all over the globe! His favorite subject? Gerberas – one of the five most bought flowers in the world. Below are four of my favorite photographs from his collection.

Because he is a doctor, he is known on Flicker as Doctony. So if you need a prescription for stress, boredom, sadness, or are simply in need of a floral fix, just drop by his picture clinic here. No need for an appointment. :-)

Top left: The classic Marimekko flower appears on this Be@rbrick produced by Marimekko, the leading textile, fashion, accessories and home furnishings company in Finland. Created by Maija and Kristina Isola, this vintage 60s poppy pattern (called the Unikko) is still featured on many of Marimekko's products today. Check out Marimekko's latest bag collection below.

Gerbera pics from Doctony / Info and bag pics from www.marimekko.com

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this 100% Marimekko bearbrick with the tray last year, they are a set of two and I love it so much as I sometimes would visit the Marimekko shop in Oslo as well.

And your brother's photo in flickr is impressive as well!

bearbricklove.com said...

Yes, LittleOslo, I have the other Marimekko Bearbrick, too! One day I will also write about it.

I'm glad that people from Oslo are reading my blog. :-) Thanks, I will tell my brother what you said.

myonlyphoto said...

...your brother has real talent, the pictures of flowers - I am speachless, especially when gerber daisies are my fav, love it, anna :)

bearbricklove.com said...

My brother will be really flattered, Anna. Thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

Your brother's photos are awesome! I love the one with the water droplets!

But wait...I LOVE Marimekko!!! I can't believe they have a bearbrick for it...how cute! I was based in Helsinki for three months and I totally fell in love with their designs :)

bearbricklove.com said...

Joey, I didn't even know Marimekko existed till I bought this Be@rbrick! Unfortunately, Marimekko merchandise aren't available in our part of the world. :-/

I also didn't know you visited Helsinki for three months. You must blog about that experience one of these days... :-)

Anonymous said...

A small world indeed. I've been an admirer of Doctony's photography for quite some time. I can see creative artistry runs in the family.

Is it just me, or are these be@rbricks getting cuter and cuter every time you post? The Marimekko bears are so sweet. I love the panda and the watermelon be@rbricks too.

bearbricklove.com said...

Thanks, Carrie! :-)

Yup, the bears seem to be getting cuter by the batch. Lately, I have been seeing a lot of must-have designs – it's crazy... :-P

Anonymous said...

Can you point me in the direction of any Canadian themed Be@rbricks?

bearbricklove.com said...

Yes, Carrie!

http://www.tenacioustoys.com/catalog/
item/2915843/2412716.htm
This is the Series 10 Canadian Flag Bearbrick available on the Net.

I see you are now interested in Be@rbricks! :-)

Watergirl said...

Your brother's photos are beautiful, luminescent. Does he ever sell printed/framed copies?

bearbricklove.com said...

Yes, Mila, I believe you can purchase his framed pics online. Just check out his Flicker site – the link is within this entry. By the way, he also has a blog that you may want to visit: "The Doctor Is A Photographer at http://tonycomia.blogspot.com