Tuesday, November 20, 2007

dreadful dogs

I didn't like dogs when I was a kid.

Our entire neighborhood kept them solely for security. Most were caged or tied to a post, and released at night to keep out burglars. One family had a particularly vicious German Shepherd. We had to walk stealthily every time we passed by their house for fear that it might break loose. I actually discovered how fast I could run when it jumped against wrought iron gates, towards me, with its frightening fangs in full view.

When I was in Grade 6, a classmate's mother died because of a bite from a rabid mongrel. That fact that she had to suffer multiple needle injections (ouch!) before she succumbed to the rabies virus was the clincher for us kids, especially me – I was never going to like dogs for the rest of my life.

Until many years later.

I was in a mall with a friend, and we chanced upon a pet shop window with the most adorable puppies on earth. I told myself, 'These aren't killers, they're nice little... toys!' Cute toys that breathed, jumped, barked, ate and pooped. (Later, I found out how fun and easy it was to give the dog a bath – I simply placed it under the faucet with one hand like I was washing a coffee mug.)

How did I overcome my fear of dogs? I got myself a cute one to love. :-)


(Top) Petrified Duo: The 2002 Toycon Bearbricks were created by award-winning Hong Kong designer Colan Ho and are part of a series of six (6).

(Kenzo Comic Strip by me, made with Comic Life Software for Macs.)

12 comments:

johnybravo said...

How big is your be@rbrick collection by now? 400 - 500?

Unknown said...

branching out into comics i see. lol

it's very sweet!

bearbricklove.com said...

Johny, more like 400. :-)

bearbricklove.com said...

Warrior Scout, maybe I'll make a strip once a month, eh? :-) Thanks!

Peace said...

this is a wonderful post!

bearbricklove.com said...

Thanks, Peace! :-) You must be a pet lover, too.

McDreamer said...

yes, i enjoyed this post!

bearbricklove.com said...

Mcdreamer! I met your cousin Christian at Pho Hoa Wilson Street once and he mentioned you... thanks for visiting... :-)

Leica said...

Kenzo's soooo cute, specially on that last frame where he looks very guilty :-)

bearbricklove.com said...

Leica: I tell you, Kenzo is a very expressive dog. And he does that 'guilty look' so well... :-D

Anonymous said...

hi!

sunny again. rumour has it that the series 15 bearbricks are to be released this month or in december!

and, do you still have bearbricks for sale?

let me know.

thanks!

bearbricklove.com said...

Sunny, I can't wait! The new BWWT is also available on eBay – the designs are wonderful, you should get them. Try Imaginejs or Japan Toystore. :-)