Friday, December 28, 2007

bondage made beautiful

This Christmas, I received a most beautiful and interesting gift from a dear friend – a metal handcuff (below, left) from Dolce & Gabbana's Fall 2007 Collection.

I love it tremendously – even if I am not into bondage or S&M. In the creative world of advertising where I exist, edgy accessories are perfectly acceptable, if not expected.

Bondage is a recurring theme in fashion. Remember when Elizabeth Hurley (Hugh Grant's ex) stole the show at the UK premiere of 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' in a Versace bondage dress? Way before that, British fashion designer Vivienne Westwood successfully incorporated the bondage concept into punk fashion.


Dolce & Gabbana's latest campaign (below) features sexy young dominatrixes (wearing metallic bondage belts) forcing their half-naked male subjects into submission.

How such a concept can successfully seduce people is a bit of a mystery to me. Maybe, we are all secret sadists, masochists – or both. Come to think of it, we all feel pleasure when our enemies endure pain. And each of us will sometimes choose to suffer through a challenge than to be bored by ease.

(Top, right) Bondage Bear: The metallic silver bear which I've tied to a metal post is Series 11's Artist Bearbrick based on Naoki Urasawa's 'Monster', a Japanese anime produced by Studio Nuts. The bloody message on its chest (in German) is a cry for freedom: 'Help! The monster in me will explode!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

that shit must have cost heaps. so awesome either way.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Juan and Happy New Year!

I wanted you to be the very first to know that I finally purchased my first Be@rbricks in Taiwan. I bought four today from Series 15.

The first one I opened is quite appropriate...it's a Flag Bear from China...and as you know, I lived in China for three years when I first moved to Asia. :-)

The other three I purchased are all the same. So now I have three uber cute purple SF Bears. So what does one do? I was hoping for a bit more variety with my first purchase. However, I know that's what happens when you collect, but if you have any advice to offer, it would be much appreciated.

I think you've got me addicted! Thanks for sharing your passion. I'm hooked now.

bearbricklove.com said...

Jake, I guess I'm very lucky to have a generous friend. :-D

bearbricklove.com said...

Welcome to the club, Carrie, you are now an official Bearbrick lover, too! I feel great that my blog has inspired you to collect. :-)

Series 15 is a very good batch – it's got very interesting designs. The purple SF bear is based on the anime series entitled 'Evangelion'.

Bearbricks are usually sold in 'blind boxes' – you can't tell which particular bear you're getting. But there are some retailers (in Singapore, HK, KL and eBay) who sell opened boxes. If you wish to avoid duplicates, you must find similar sellers in Taiwan.

What do I do with duplicates? I sell them or give them away – there's always someone who will want to have them. :-)

May the coming year be a fantastic one for you and John!

Mwah!

Anonymous said...

Hey!!!!!!i have a question!!!how can you tell if the Be@Brick is fake or real...I brought a serie..and I found out I may buy the fake oneeess..SOoooo sadddddddddd.....Thank you!!!!!!!

bearbricklove.com said...

Anonymous, I wrote about fakes in three previous entries. Just look for these titles in my archives:

the real spidey saves the day
the case of the bogus bearbrick / parts 1 & 2

Sorry about your misfortune, I hope you find a good seller next time.

Unknown said...

bogus bearbricks? maybe

bogus bearbrick lover? most definitely not you..

happy holidays...

bearbricklove.com said...

Hey, that's sweet of you, Rod – Happy New Year!

McDreamer said...

whoah, that gorgeous D & G cuffs definitely fits the world of artists and advertising... I'm sure you could pull that off...

Jonathan Mendoza said...

Just read your entry. Visit my site in case it suits your fancy.

Anonymous said...

I just started collecting bear bricks, but I am only collecting meaningful ones, just enough to fill two small shelves. and I am absolutely in love with this one! is it a 100 per cent? and what is its name so i can search it somewhere? thank you!
ps: if possible, reply on my blog? i would be really thankful, in case i don't see your reply here!