Monday, September 17, 2007

the case of the bogus be@rbrick / part 2

I was leafing through a local fashion magazine when something familiar caught my eye. There it was, hanging across the bare chest of a young, sassy-looking model named Jake Cuenca was a bearbrick (see Bench Underwear print ad below)!

I knew, of course, that there existed no such bear on a chain, and closer scrutiny proved that it was a fake! The rounded hands and feet, the big ears, and the small ribcage were clear indications. Check out my earlier post, 'The Case of the Bogus Be@rbrick / Part 1', for other telltale signs.

Lately, bootleg bearbricks like these seem to be proliferating – I've seen quite a few attached to manbags, keychains and even mobile phone straps!

Don't get me wrong, I don't detest these little imitations. In fact, they're not at all bad-looking. But a fake is still a fake. There's no thrill in owning one, if you ask me. :-)

At the topmost left is the original Series 1 U.S. Flag Be@rbrick, which I shot against a map of the New York City subway system. It was one of the first bears I bought. Back then, I was still clueless about fakes – so I guess I was lucky it was for real.

12 comments:

McDreamer said...

Hi bearbricklover, wait til' you see this...
http://fashionemporium.multiply.com/photos/album/73/New_Popobears_September_Upload

bearbricklove.com said...

Hahaha! There's more going around than I thought! :-) Wonder why they call them Popo bear though...

McDreamer said...

Yeah, i really have no idea where the name Popo bear originated! I guess those sellers and buyers have no idea what Bearbricks are...

Watergirl said...

You have amazing eyesight. I can't see the details you mentioned but I believe you. Do they make real bearbricks for mobile phones though?

bearbricklove.com said...

Mila, the image was larger in actual size :-)!

Let me see... I have some 50% size bearbricks that can be attached to neck chains, key chains or mobile phones, although they were not created specifically for those purposes...

Anonymous said...

hello po pahiram po ng pic ni jake para malagay sa fansite nya. thank u in advance.

jcuenca.blogspot.com

eloisevbm said...

about popobear vs bearbrick...at least this will help me differentiate between fake and authentic sellers. I'm starting a collection and don't really know where to find the real ones.

Colin said...

I recently bought a bearbrick on eBay and when i set it down next to my others, i noticed that it was actually a few millimeters smaller. The legs and arms were noticeably shorter. Both are 100%. I was worried I was sold a fake. Any experience with these? Could I have been fooled??

bearbricklove.com said...

Colin, yes, some bearbricks are a bit smaller than the others. :-) Which one did you buy?

Colin said...

It was Series 16 Cute (Gachapin I believe). Also, my Spongebob, Ren, and Stimpy are smaller. Why do they make some smaller? when they're all 100%?

bearbricklove.com said...

Yes, it's smaller. Haha, I think that's because they use different suppliers to make them. Obviously, quality control is not 100% perfect. :-)

Anonymous said...

Do they make any fake 400%? I have a Kaws Dissected Bearbrick i purchased from a seller on ebay. Have you heard of any cases?