Wednesday, May 30, 2007

stick your tongue out, be@rbrick!

The cheeky logo of the rock band Rolling Stones (left) became very famous, although the artist – not Andy Warhol, mind you – received a measly £50 for it.

His name is John Pasche, a British graphic designer and D&AD Awardee whose other works include: the poster for Roger Vadim's 'And God Created Woman'; cd designs for The Art of Noise and Sinead O'Connor; tour ads for David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, and The Who.

The logo first appeared in 1971, on the inner sleeve of the Rolling Stones album, Sticky Fingers.
Two years later, Pasche supposedly received £200 more, in recognition of the logo's great success. Of course, the band earned millions from it.

Well, they got the money but the honor belonged to Pasche. For him, I photographed my 2nd Rolling Stone Be@rbrick against the pages of Rolling Stone Magazine (above, right).

I love this logo, and how it has come a long way from 'racy t-shirt graphic' to 'classic pop icon'. It's solid proof that irreverence can earn you respect.

(Related Blog Entry: Be@rbrick was a Rolling Stone!)

(Info/logo: www.johnpasche.com, IP Review, Wikipedia)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi! my name's sunny and i'm a collector too. galeng the collette set you got.

is there a place in manila where i can get bearbricks? i get mine mostly in singapore, hongkong or ebay. my latest acquisition would be the 400% love bearbrick. i also collect kubricks.

thanks!

bearbricklove.com said...

Hi, Sunny, nice to know there are other Pinoy Be@rbrick lovers. I saw some 100% Bears at Far Flung Gallery in Marikina Show Expo in Cubao. One toy store on the second floor of Greenhills Theater Mall had a few but I wouldn't know if they're still there. I have some duplicate Bearbricks that I am willing to sell, too. I can email you the pics if you like. :-)

Anonymous said...

i have duplicates too! and i just purchased series 14 and the jack bauer bearbrick set over ebay. sige, email me photos. i'll email you some of mine too, though i'm pretty sure you have all of what i have na. btw, i think we've met na, though in passing lang. i produce commercials for tbwa.
i was able to buy a few kubricks at that store in greenhills, and a few bearbricks at chunky before they closed.

you may email me at sunfish7@pldtdsl.net.

thanks!

bearbricklove.com said...

Series 14! I don't have any of those yet. Are they already available? Or a pre-order? Did you get them at Japan Toystore on eBay? Ok, I will email you pics this week.

Anonymous said...

japan toystore on ebay. available na.

Anonymous said...

hello again. i have this 100% bearbrick which was a gift from a friend. no box, no card, it was in my bearbrick book, but it's in japanese. it wears a lacoste tshirt and jeans, and has black hair. and very red lips. what bearbrick is that and from which series? would you know? i can send you a photo if you like.

bearbricklove.com said...

The shirt has Lacoste's alligator logo? Hmmm... I don't think I've encountered that one before but send me a pic anyway: acomia@pldtdsl.net

bearbricklove.com said...

Sunny, I think I know the Bearbrick you were referring to: The 'Tada No Otoko' Bearbrick from the Comic Cue Series Volume 102. It was designed by Wada Radio of Japan, and was sold with special issues of Comic Cue Magazine. :-)

LPO said...

Nice information ...
thanks...
Regards,

Legal process outsourcing(LPO)